Monday, October 26, 2009

XI: Two Views: Big Sur/Wadi Mujib



October 5, 2009, San Francisco Airport

Anisa:

The man announcing United Airlines’ flight to Portland has let everyone on the concourse in San Francisco know that “Every, every, every, every seat is taken” on the plane and there will be no upgrades, no seat changes. His voice was cheery and unequivocal.

That’s the third flight from Gate 74 with the same situation proclaimed while I sit here waiting for my flight back to Newark from San Francisco. I was at Esalen for a few days for the board meeting and donor weekend.

What a wonderful time, as always.

I remembered being there with my mother two-and-a-half years ago and what fun we had strolling the green and flowering campus, sitting in the hot tubs, and, of course, soaking in a most stimulating conversation about the phenomenon of religious “fundamentalism” and how, in the spirit of forgiveness, a reunion of the “Abrahamic Family” might contribute to reconciliation. We were there, conference convener Joseph Montville said, “ first and foremost to learn what reprsentatives of each member of the Abrahamic family needs to hear in order to think it possible for an Abrahamic reunion based on trust.” http://www.esalenctr.org/display/fundamentalism/oneal07.cfm

My mom and I were also there for a brimming-with-laughter time of togetherness, celebrating her birthday and our ever-deepening bond.

I’ve shared Esalen with Peter and the girls; Barbara Thornton came and now she and her Peter come on her own. Other friends hear about Esalen more than they may want to. Just surrender yourself to stimulation and delight.

Bob Herbert finally did. My friend, the New York Times columnist, came this 2009 donor weekend and shared the stage with Robert Reich (former Secretary of Labor, Bill Clinton administration) and wowing the assembly with insight and wit. We sat late into the night on Friday, the two Bobs, a few trustees and some guests, prying into our political awakenings. Bob Reich says we come into our age of political awareness sometime between 15 and 22. The vibe of the time at that age marks us for life. We at the table were fortunate enough to “come of age” during the late 60s and early 70s when hope reigned.

Fast forwarding back to SFO, I find that flights to LA are overbooked due to big college football games. While they asked for volunteers to give up their seats I realized that I could do that … if they need seats for my flight. They’d give me a free round-trip in the 48 contiguous ... they’d put me up in a hotel overnight, which would mean sleeping in a BED instead of drifting in and out of consciousness in 14E – a middle seat, and it would mean getting back to Maplewood sometime tomorrow. Since no one but the cats were waiting for me I could make that choice. When they did ask for volunteers for my flight I went right forward.

Now I’m waiting to hear if they need me. Seems rising prices aren’t slowing traffic. My flight from Amman to JFK was full, full, full. The flight from JFK to San Francisco was, too, if I can remember back that far. That was last Wednesday; yes, I remember now. I had an aisle seat and there was a couple with Oriental features in Window and Middle. We all rested as best we could.

I checked my growing list of things to get done during my three-and-a-half-days home and I don’t have any killer deadlines Monday in Maplewood. My fingers are crossed for a good night’s sleep. No rooster. No roommate. No reservations.

But no.

I am ushered onto the flight with everyone else in economy. The cats will be pleased.

October 5, 2009, Amman, Jordan

Peter:

Wadi Mujib was like nothing (even I) had seen before. It's like Glen Canyon before it was dammed up to make Lake Powell (Arizona). Just extraordinary. We could look at doing it with the whole family in the Spring/Early Summer (they close Oct 31) or you and Kate can try before then, but you will need Emad’s help (see below).

Some details of our amazing day:

You get totally wet as you're walking in the river and up small waterfalls; through slow and swift currents, in water that is just warm enough to keep you from getting cold; soft with carbonates and grey to lime green in color. Green malachite like you see in jewelry stores is deposited on some of the river rocks. You can barely see the sky hundreds of feet above, as the canyon is so narrow -- sometimes only 20-30 feet across. The canyon is carved beautifully, just like the pictures. http://www.rscn.org.jo/orgsite/RSCN/HelpingNature/ProtectedAreas/MujibNatureReserve/tabid/94/Default.aspx

Thank God that Emad, our wonderful taxi driver, went with us. He decided to go because he likes the trip a lot, he loves the out-of-doors and used to be quite an athlete, but without him, we never would have gotten Katie in there. The Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature changed the rules without telling anyone and made the mandatory age 18! Emad was a friend (of course) of one of the rangers and arranged to have Kate stand away at the last minute while I signed for her. Then we took the required life jackets and (at Emad’s quiet urging) silently and quickly moved onto the access bridge, around the corner of a cliff, down the access ladder, into the water and up the canyon. By that time we were far enough away to credibly ignore the whistling of the other ranger who hadn’t had a chance to examine Kate and assess her age! Emad is truly a friend and a terrific resource.

Two-and-a-half-hours later we returned, tired but totally excited. Kate had handled everything with ease. Floating back down was a wonderful relaxing treat after the strenuous climbing against the rapids and waterfalls. There were lots of ropes and ladders in the rocks to make it doable. Kate said it was one of the best things she has ever done.

We’re now home and being lazy/tired; our clothes are drying out. Kate is finishing her religion project for school. We’re cooking okra with tomato sauce, some flavored rice, and the last of the spinach sautĂ©ed in garlic and oil.

I don’t have the energy to work much today but it looks like staff and clients are generally leaving me alone for the moment.

It’s great thinking of you all out there at Esalen, even if you’re in meetings. Say “hi” to everyone for me. Thank Kat Steele for the email on permaculture in Jordan. Great stuff. http://permaculture.org.au/project_profiles/middle_east/jordan_valley_permaculture_project.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment